- Skin Rejuvenation
- Body Treatments
- Hair Treatments
- Aesthetician Services
- CONTACT US
Acne is an inherited skin condition most commonly found in teenagers, although many adults in their 30’s, 40’s, and even 50’s suffer from acne outbreaks. Acne affects approximately 80% of the population. Acne cysts, pimples, whiteheads, and blackheads can damage a person’s skin as well as their self-esteem. The dermatological condition can progressively worsen if untreated, so the best time to treat acne is at the first sign of an outbreak.
Control and prevention are the primary goals when treating acne, with the aim to stop acne from becoming so severe that it leaves scars. Our acne doctors in Beverly Hills and Santa Monica have a series of customized acne treatments that address all stages of acne, including scarring. They leverage their experience in treating acne and the latest technologies to help patients treat acne and achieve clear skin.
Expert Dermatologists Explain the Real Cause of Acne
A common myth is that acne is caused by dirt or diet. Though our Beverly Hills and Santa Monica dermatologists recommend practicing a proper skin care regimen, acne is not attributed to dirt or food alone. One of the most common reasons you struggle with breakouts is testosterone. Testosterone, a hormone that is present in both males and females, increases during puberty. It stimulates the oil glands of the skin to enlarge, produce oil, and plug the pores. When too much sebum (oil) is produced, they mix with dirt and debris to clog pores and form whiteheads, blackheads, and pimples.
In females, early acne occurs before the first menstrual period. When acne is severe and forms deep “pus-filled” lumps, it is called cystic acne. This may be more common in males. Adult acne develops later in life and may be related to hormones, childbirth, menopause, or stopping the pill.
How to Properly Care for Acne
Knowing your skin type helps you understand what ingredients work well with your skin, and most importantly makes your daily skin care routine quick and easy. A daily skin care regimen does not have to be complicated. A gentle daily cleanser is recommended to remove dirt in the skin and to keep it clean and refreshed. Lastly, a good lotion or cream should be used to keep skin moist, helping to prevent fine lines and wrinkles that begin to develop as we age.
There are additional treatments for acne that may be recommended by Dr. Behroozan and our acne experts in Beverly Hills and Santa Monica. Acne can be effectively treated and cleared using a series of customized approaches developed by our dermatologists.
Acne Treatments in Santa Monica and Beverly Hills
- Photodynamic Acne Treatment(PDT) using Levulan: Amino-Levulinic Acid, a high-grade serum is applied to acne prone areas of the face, and after an hour, the patient is positioned beneath the Blu-U Blue Light which destroys acne causing bacteria and shrinks pores. These medical grade treatments can be administered alone or in conjunction with each other. PDT rapidly treats a wide variety of acne(blackheads, whiteheads, papular, pustular & cystic) without scarring or surgical excision.
- Fraxel Laser Treatment delves beneath the skin’s deepest layers to fade acne scars, boost collagen growth and repair deeper dermal levels. The laser procedure stimulates cell renewal and shows improvement of acne scars and smoother skin in just 3 to 4 sessions.
- Microneedling: Dermapen creates a series of microscopic holes in the skin to boost collagen growth, fade scars, reduce pore size and stimulate elastin. Once new collagen develops, the face takes on a smoother and firmer appearance.
All facials and peels are customized using the highest level of medical ingredients and expertise, performed by our Beverly Hills and Santa Monica skin care experts. Our wide range of treatments promotes beautiful, youthful and glowing skin.
- Chemical Peels: Our array of chemical peels employ a host of high grade chemical and natural ingredients to revitalize and transform your skin. The popular treatments remove dull skin cells and create firmer, smoother skin with tighter pores.
- Microdermabrasion: A powerful device exfoliates the epidermis, removing dead skin cells and debris from the skin’s delicate surface. Microdermabrasion improves acne scars, white heads and blackheads, leaving your skin feeling soft and refreshed.
- Hydrafacial: A HydraFacial exfoliates, cleanses and infuses the skin with a healthy dose of hydration. The relaxing experience is suitable for all skin types and can be customized to improve acne prone skin.
- Extractions: In some cases, the aesthetician may need to use a special tool to extract fluids from a clogged pore. This is helpful for treating inflamed pimples and most effective for blackheads and whiteheads.
- Clarifying Acne Facial: Combining glycolic exfoliation, extractions, a purification masque and essential nourishment, this treatment removes skin impurities and restores your natural balance. Our custom facial keeps flare-ups under control and reduces inflammation to prevent future breakouts.
- Doxycycline: The commonly prescribed antibiotic works well for acne and rosacea and is designed to treat mild to severe inflammatory acne. This is recommended for acne that isn’t helped with other treatments, but doesn’t work for blackheads or milia.
- Minocycline: The oral acne alternative works to stop bacteria in its tracks and reduce inflammation. It has been used successfully for years by individuals who suffer from severe acne.
- Isotretinoin (previously called Accutane): This oral medication is not for every patient and is often a last resort for severe acne that has not responded to other therapies or for patients with severe nodulocystic, scarring acne.
- Retin A: This topical cream is designed to decrease the number of pimples you develop and reduce inflammation.
We Are Your Best Choice for Acne Treatments in Beverly Hills & Santa Monica
Acne treatment in Southern California cannot be treated with topical treatments alone. Often times, acne is a troubling condition that requires help from a board-certified dermatologist. Since acne is triggered by hormones, over the counter products can only help so much. The skin care experts at Dermatology Institute know how to eliminate the underlying causes of acne. By employing advanced methods, we reach the skin’s deepest layers to revitalize your complexion.